Wednesday, July 17, 2013

South Indian Semolina Crepe... Also Known as 'Rava Dosa'

"The way to a man's heart is through his stomach..."

So they say... Well, I don't know who "they" are, but they must personally know my husband because I cannot think of a truer statement relating to him, and especially to his love of South Indian food. So... this past weekend, I decided to surprise him by learning a new South Indian breakfast/brunch item to make - rava dosa.

If you've ever eaten in an Indian restaurant, then you've probably seen a giant crepe-like dish that looks something like this:

A giant restaurant dosa
Unfortunately, in general, dosa is a somewhat complicated item to make. The batter requires fermentation and there's a whole process that goes into its creation. Well, luckily for me, there is a somewhat similar cousin to the regular dosa known as rava dosa, and it is easy easy easy to make.
Rava dosa can be made the day of, and does not need any preparation in the previous day / days like regular dosa does. I found this great recipe on Pinterest and with a few adjustments, I made something that we both really enjoyed!
I started off making the batter right after my morning coffee, which was about an hour and a half before we actually started making and eating the dosas. I followed the recipe as is except I did not add any yogurt, onions or cashews.
 
My rava dosa batter consisting of rice flour, rava (semolina), all purpose flour (maida flour), cumin seeds, pepper corn (ground up), green chilies, curry leaves, coriander leaves and salt.
 
Once you're ready to "fry" up the rava dosas, you take a flat pan / skillet put a few drops of oil (I used vegetable oil) on it and spread the batter out as thinly as possible while trying to avoid any holes and while trying to make it look like a nice circle (I'm still working on that part).
 
The thinner you can spread the batter, the better the rava dosa tastes.
 
Once you have cooked up the rava dosa, you can eat it with homemade chutney or pickle for a scrumptious and easy brunch. The only thing my husband didn't like about this recipe was the pepper corn, so I will probably leave that little ingredient out next time.
 
Rava Dosa with a little mango pickle.
 
Overall, I'd call this one a success. This was the first time I've ever attempted rava dosa and it came out pretty well! So, the next time you're wondering what to make for brunch and you don't feel like omelets, hop over to that link I posted above and check out this recipe... it's worth a try!

*Housekeeping*

Please note that you can now follow me on Bloglovin' by clicking the button on the upper right hand side of this page or at the bottom of this post! It's an easy way to keep track of all your favorite blogs, and hopefully mine is one of them :-)

Please also note that I have reorganized the buttons on the top of my blog. I will now be archiving my posts by breaking them out under these different headings.

Keep checking back for more changes!
Another ABCD Mommy
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments! But please keep them polite.